The TVET Colleges Act calls for student representation in governance structures such as the Council
and Academic Board of the College. In compliance with this legislative requirement, every year
February, EMC conducts a democratic election of the Student Representative Council. The SRC
is run by the students, for the students, with a developmental consideration of the functional
needs of the College student population.
The SRC members, as the active voice of the students,
acknowledge their duty to maintain a key responsibility in the operations of the College.
The SRC of each campus is primarily responsible for representing students of the particular
campus and for organising activities at their respective campuses.
The executive members of
the SRC serve on the following College Governing structures:
• College Governing Council – President and Secretary General;
• Finance and Facility Committee (Fincom) – Treasurer;
• Financial Aid Committee – President, Deputy President, Treasurer and Campus Chairperson.
The SRC members holding the following portfolios represent the student body on the following
• Aacdemic Development Committee
• Academic Board – Education and Transformation Offi cer;
• Marketing and Communication committee – Marketing and Communication Offi cer;
• Sport, Arts and Culture Committee – Sport, Arts and Culture Offi cer.
EMC’s SRC strives to uphold the interests of students by:
• Representing and acting in the interests of the student community at all times;
• Promoting and upholding the principles of Eastcape Midlands College;
• Ensuring that no student is discriminated against on the basis of race, gender, religion,
ethnicity, sexual orientation, age, culture, language, birth, pregnancy, marital status,
disability, conscience belief or political inclination;
• Supporting students and student organisations by creating forums to achieve common
goals; and encouraging and supporting the development of effi cient student governance
through maximum participation and co-operation between the different levels of student
• Upholding and supporting the vision, mission and strategic goals of the College;
• Promoting academic diligence and excellence among students.